April 22nd is Earth Day! In actuality, every day should be Earth Day as we strive to make our environment a better place for everyone and everything. Here are some fun, quick, and easy activities you can try with your child in celebration of our Earth:
- Walk. Take a walk around the block, or make a trek to the school or a store. You will find that the time you spend walking (and talking) with your child is more valuable than the time spent in the car. And, you will be saving a bit of gas by not running the engine!
- Recycling Treasure Hunt. Choose an area (building sites are great for this activity) and see how much recyclable material you can collect. Our town has curbside recycling, so my boys and I hit the new home construction sites in our neighborhood at least once a week for aluminum cans and plastic drink bottles. Several crews know about our “quest” and will even pile or bag their recyclables for us!
- All Natural Bird Feeder. Cover a bagel or a piece of toast in peanut butter and roll in bird seed. Tie with string to a tree and watch the birds flock! Our feathered friends will appreciate the treat.
- Here Comes The Sun. Utilize natural light by opening the blinds and curtains and flooding your home with sunlight. Turn off the overhead lights and save on electricity. Find other things to occupy your time besides the television…puzzles, books, board games, and even playing outside are all better for the environment and for you!
- Plant A Tree (Or Something Else). Give back to the earth by planting a tree, bush, shrub or other plant today. Create a container garden of tomatoes or beans to grow your own vegetables. Plant flowering plants to grow and cultivate for your own home decorations.
Post your ideas and thoughts in our comment section. How will you celebrate Earth Day?