Wouldn’t it be fun to be able to play musical instruments that you make yourself? It’s really easy to do, and if you know how to use a glue gun you don’t even need Mom or Dad to help you! (Though they should supervise.) Here’s how to make a drum, a guitar and a tambourine to get started your very own rock and roll band!
Make Your Own Colorful Bongo Drum
This is a really fun and easy project to make, and it looks really cool when it’s finished. You can play this drum by holding it between your knees, or hang it around your neck. It’s great as a project for a musical birthday theme party too.
Things You’ll Need To Make Your Bongo Drum
- Oatmeal or coffee can with plastic cover
- Yarn, lots of colors
- White glue
- Sequins, adhesive rhinestones, other decorations
- Make sure the inside of the can is empty and clean.
- Cut a small hole in one side of the plastic lid, and another small hole right across from the first one.
- Take a piece of yarn (any color) and string it through the holes. Make sure the yarn is long enough to hang the drum from your neck. Tie a knot in the ends to secure the yarn.
- Glue the lid to the top of the can to secure it.
- Cover the outside of the can with glue (not the bottom), and wind the yarn around it, covering the entire can. You can use different colors to make it look really cool.
- Glue on any decorations you wish. Remember, don’t decorate the top part. This is where you will hit the drum.
- Let the finished drum sit overnight to dry completely, and it’ll be ready to play by the morning!
Make A Guitar You Can Really Play!
Of course, this isn’t exactly like a real guitar, but it’s loads of fun to make and to play, and an essential part of your rock band!
Things You’ll Need
- Shoe box lid
- Rubber bands (multi colored ones look really cool)
- Long Ruler (18 inches) or flat stick, like a paint stir
- Glue gun and glue
- Poster paints, any color
- Paint the shoe box lid and ruler any color you like, and set them aside to dry.
- Once the paint is dry, take the elastic bands and stretch them around the lid. These will be the strings that you strum. If you use different sizes of elastic bands, they will play different notes.
- Using the glue gun, glue one end of the ruler to the back of the box (guitar body). This will be the neck of your guitar. Wait to dry, and now your guitar is ready to wail!
Make Some Noise With A Hand-Made Tambourine
Here is one more percussion instrument for your rock and roll band, and it’s really easy to make! If this is an activity as part of a kids party, omit the painting and use solid color or patterned paper plates.
Things You’ll Need
- Jingle bells
- 2 cardboard plates
- Hole punch
- String or yarn
- Poster paints
- Adhesive rhinestones, glitter, sequins and other decorations
- Paint the outsides of both plates with poster paint, any color. Once dry, glue the two plates together, bottom sides out.
- Make holes around the outside of the plates with the hole punch.
- Decorate with glitter, rhinestones or whatever you think would look funky.
- Tie jingle bells to each hole with string or yarn. Now, your tambourine is ready to play.
Now that you have your instruments ready, gather up a couple of band members, practice for a while, and give a concert for your family and friends!
Post written by Chris Molnar of ThemeAParty.com