Fun Preschool Activity — Number Worm Puzzle
Teaching Objective/Before You Begin
Let your child watch as you make him a new number worm puzzle. Ask him to tell you the numbers as you write them on the segments. Let him count the dots as you put them next to the numerals. When the pieces are all mixed up, it can be a challenge to many preschoolers to put the puzzle together the right way until he finally recognizes what each of the numerals look like and can say them in order. This puzzle is a wonderful teaching tool which will help your child learn math skills.
- Colorful piece of posterboard
- Black marker
- Draw a long, fat, curvy worm on the posterboard.
- Split the worm into 10 segments using wavy, bumpy lines.
- Print the numbers 1 through 10 with the appropriate number of dots on each segment.
- Cut the worm out and cut each segment apart.
- Ask your preschooler to put his worm puzzle back together and take it apart many times.
Preschool Play is a daily newsletter that features fun, educational activities for parents to do with their 3-5 year old children. Get your free subscription today. Visit http://www.preschoolplay.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.